Sender:
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:10:54 +0100
From:
Ulrich Dirr <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Frank,

> I agree with you, we need better control from the document level as well
as
> from the designer level for all three independently of each other.
>
> However, as far as Will's remark goes: I do also believe that there is no
> point in separating an object type "heading" into three object types. Why
is
> that?
>
> simply because the mechanics for controlling the three parts is one thing,
but
> on a design level a heading is just collecting these values and passing
them
> (controlled) to a running header or to a toc. As a result, one can imagine
all
> kind of heading layout templates, but all of them would all do the same
thing
> in terms of passing the some of that data (or not) to a toc, where there
would
> be independent templates to format the values. in other words: we would
have
> one transformation from document level (that allows you to control whether
or
> not you want a toc entry and or a running header, etc but from that point
on
> a heading template will only be concerned with formatting the heading. So
> rather than
>
> \DeclareDocumentCommand \section { <arg syntax> }
>   {
>    \UseInstance{heading}{sectionheading}   {<arg>}
>    \UseInstance{headingtotoc}{std}         {<arg>}
>    \UseInstance{headingtorunninghead}{std} {<arg>}
>   }
>
> we might as well put everything into the "heading" as for "headingtotoc"
and
> "headingtorunninghead" there will be nothing to format/layout and each
command
> will use the same mechanics.

I don't know if I understand everything and how powerful and flexible the
new concept will be.

My concern was that if putting all in one 'heading' command in some cases it
will get overloaded and unreadable ... On the other hand it should be
possible to pass extra commands to parts of what constitutes <arg>.
Sometimes the toc entry is constructed by combining different parts of
sectioning commands in the document and need to be formatted differently
(e.g. in my last book the chapter parts '<chapter name><chapter number>',
'<author>', and '<chapter title>' not only had different formatting but were
placed on facing pages inside the book, but when constructing the toc all
parts needed to be put together).

Is it possible to attach files? Anyway I give it a try and attach a sample
of two pages of the book toc I've been talking above.

On the first page you can see how in general the toc is constructed.
Unnumbered chapters ('Einleitung') like numbered ('Kapitel 1') are treated
the same. Only special sections get into the paragraph style section part
which should be formatted so that the last entry gets centered. The
difficulty was to adjust the linebreaking so that a 'star' doesn't begins a
new line and sometimes manually controlling the 'parshape'. On the second
page you can see the chapter ('Kapitel 24') where the sectioning parts where
suppressed and an extra sentence was added ('(in chronologischer Abfolge)')
instead.

All this was 'hard stuff' to achieve automatically even with the help of
titlesec/titletoc.

Best regards,
Ulrich

About the attachment 'Lasker0007et0009.zip' ------------------------------------------------------- The attachments to this e-mail have been automatically compressed with WinZip(R) E-Mail Companion and can be viewed with WinZip 11.0 or later. WinZip can be used to extract the contents of this and other Zip files that you download from the Internet or receive as e-mail attachments. In addition to basic zipping and unzipping, features of WinZip include tight integration with Windows Explorer, support for most Internet archive formats, advanced AES encryption, and much more. Please visit the WinZip web site at www.winzip.com/wzt.htm for more information about WinZip and to download a free evaluation version. WinZip E-Mail Companion brings the power of WinZip to the Microsoft(R) Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail environments by automatically zipping attachments to your e-mail messages, saving transmission time and disk space for both the sender and the recipient. Please visit the WinZip web site at www.winzip.com/uct.htm for more information about WinZip E-Mail Companion and to download a free evaluation version.