From:
Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 13:38:52 +0100
> In any case, people used CM (which is thin) happily for many years on
> 300 dpi printers.

Another example: they may have been "happy" because they had (and for
many of them) never seen anything so exquisite before.  But for CM, it
was (and maybe still is but I have now no way to find out) not
feasible to produce anything at 300dpi about which they "should have
remain happy" when 600+dpi is available.

The wonderful irony about this is that if you look through modes.mf
you will find, especially in the comments on ~1200dpi modes, things like.

I tried .... but this looked a bit thin so I chnaged to ... ; now it
looks as good as the 300dpi output.

We like what we know!

chris