Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:08:10 +0100
From: Ulrike Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Am Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:00:10 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:

>> I'm sorry but I disagree on this point. I don't think it is urgent to
>> adjust the real inputenc. LuaTeX is still in early beta, so it should
>> be used only by somehow experienced users, or at least users aware of
>> what they are doing.. Such users should be able to understand that
>> they should either encode their source in utf-8 (and don't load any
>> inputenc) or load luainputenc.

> I disagree.  The development or rather the update cycle of LaTeX is so
> slow that we don't want it to impede progress.

Like Manual I don't think that it is a good idea to load
xetexinputenc or luatexinputenc (or whatever the packages are
called) through inputenc. This packages are currently at best in the
beta-stadium. They haven't been tested much, the problem with
auxiliary files with non-ascii chars generated by the engine hasn't
been solved yet.

inputenc and fontenc are base packages. They shouldn't load
experimental packages which can change from one day to the next and
where it isn't clear that they will stay.

Nobody want to impede progress. But the progress can be easily moved
in dedicated packages until they can be considered as stable.

And meanwhile inputenc could contain a message
"don't use inputenc with engine X, read ... to learn about
alternatives".

--
Ulrike Fischer