From:
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2011 23:41:54 +0200
 > On 16/05/2011, at 3:39 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:
 >
 > > To me, that means
 > >
 > >  \foo[...]{...}
 > >
 > > is a possible, but I'd hope not
 > >
 > >  \foo{...}[...]
 >
 > I think there are enough examples on CTAN where people have needed to
 > extend the optional argument syntax to indicate that the 2e model above is
 > too restricted for user purposes.
--text follows this line--
A simple syntax with unnamed positional arguments (optional or mandatory or
mixed) as 2e provides it has its uses and they go beyond a single optional
argument. But clearly this is a syntax that very fast gets difficult to use or
rather to remember. It all depends on how strong the arguments are "naturally
ordered" and how often such commands are used.

 > Having said that, I do agree in some cases (such as \makebox[][]{}) an
 > overload of optional arguments is also a bad idea, where a keyval interface
 > makes more sense.

I guess there are worse ones but yes, those kind of commands are good examples
were such a syntax is fast reaching its limits especially as the commands are
seldom used. But if a command is used often enough you can keep a consise
syntax and still have it fairly complex.

Anyway, I'm not arguing key/val no key/val. I'm quite a fan of the letter (sometimes)

 > Dropping trailing optional arguments just doesn't feel right to me; in the
 > interests of disclosure, however, at least two of the packages I've written
 > (pstool and mlist) use them, so I'm clearly biased :)  Their interfaces
 > could certainly be revised but I don't think (yet) in hindsight that the
 > way the commands work therein is necessary a bad idea.

I wouldn't drop them either (not for xparse anyway) and I think that Lars'
suggestions needs a closer look at to perhaps provide the best of both worlds
even here.