From:
Uwe Lück <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:35:16 +0200
At 13:30 26.03.05, you [David Kastrup] wrote:
>Donald Arseneau <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
> > The problem with \penalty\outputpenalty is that \outputpenalty=10000
> > and prevents the same page break instead of forcing the same break.
>
>Well, when rebreaking, I find that using \pagediscards seems like the
>best thing to do.  Then you get the same vertical list again, unless
>\outputpenalty is less than 10000, in which case you need to reinsert
>it in front of the discards (it will be replaced with \nobreak in the
>\pagediscards in this case).

And where is \pagediscards available? (Not by a Google search on CTAN.)

> > I would use a unique force-break penalty.
>
>Always a good idea.  You just have to place it in a manner that makes
>sure it does not get discarded.

And what about
     \ifnum\outputpenalty=\@M \else
       \penalty\outputpenalty
     \fi
from Stephan Boettcher's lineno.sty? It is the only package
I know that has done such a thing with \holdinginserts, yet
not for dealing with floats. This may change with a release
that I'm preparing.

-- Uwe Lueck.