From:
Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 15:42:05 +0100
William F. Hammond wrote --

> SGML is all about fast staged processing.  It is not very much about
> getting on to paper.

That sounds like a reasonable summary of reality, if not theoretically
true.

> There is a very lucrative and apparently profitable industry out there
> lurking behind closed doors.

????? Doing what exactly?  Or are the doors too firmly closed to see?

> I suggest that individuals should think in terms of multiple SGML
> transformations as pre-processing for LaTeX.  Some industrial strength
> publishers *may* want to think in terms of multiple SGML transformations
> as pre-processing to TeX directly.

That is certainly an interesting question in general: staright to TeX
vs via LaTeX.

Limited expereince suggests that some mixture may be needed; but
a lot depends on how and where the formatting is specified.

> I am wary of messing with Knuth's TeX.

Most everyone was until the last few years but some psychological
barrier has since been broken and there are now several projects doing
very good work in this area.

Also, Knuth himself always wanted people to mess with it, as long as
the result is clearly distinguished from his TeX.

chris