From:
Achim Blumensath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:53:55 CET
Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> Achim writes:
>
>  > o hyphenation template. This template should IMHO be dropped. The
>  >   only important parameters it sets are (ex)hyphenpenalty which can
>  >   be moved to the linebreak template.
>
> I agree that the (ex)hyphenpenalty should perhaps be moved to the
> linebreak template as they essentially are parameters that guide the
> linebreaking. On the other hand Rune Kleveland made the correct remark
> that there are extensions to TeX that take the hyphenation methods
> further and do perhaps warrant to keep those parameters separate for
> easier replacement.

After some thought I think it would be best if one provides a hyphenation
template for the case that a future version of TeX uses more parameters.
But instead of using these templates directly one should IMHO add a
parameter to the linebreak template specifying which instance of the
hyphenation template is used. One could define, say, four instances:
"disabled", "discouraged", "enabled", and "encouraged".

> However, whether the template should be fully abandomed seems to me a
> different question: i guess one has to ask whether allowing/disallowing
> hyphenation is a layout design question in its own right. That is, is it
> likely that one wants to change the galley state in this respect without
> changing other aspects of the galley? If this is the case then
> separating it out makes some sense since otherwise one has to provide
> a lot of duplicate template instances which only differ in that aspect.
>
> I'm not sure what the answer is. Perhaps there is no need for a
> separation in the end.

I guess hyphenation and other line-breaking parameters will normally
be set simultaneously.

Achim
    //  Achim Blumensath       | \  _                        \O/ \___/\ |
   //   [log in to unmask]   |-< /_\                       =o=  \ /\ \|