From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 23:58:09 +0200
At 21.32 +0200 2001-05-13, Hans Aberg wrote:
>At 15:18 +0200 2001/05/13, Lars Hellström wrote:
>>Well, the \InputTranslation and \OutputTranslation primitives of Omega
>>already provide that functionality, so there is no need to deal with
>>variable-sized characters in the TeX programming. The problem is that one
>>might want to employ additional sets of translations (which would then act
>>on streams of equally-sized characters) between those extremes of the
>>program, but Omega doesn't provide for this.
>
>I am not sure what you mean here: UTF-8 is variable sized.
>
>I suggested that for every file not using a 32-bit character type, one has
>an additional file (in ASCII) identified by some kind of file name ending
>with information about the encoding. (For example, if the file "<name>" is
>not 32-bit, is there si also an ASCII file named "<name>.encoding".)
>
>This way, one can provide as many IO code converters as one bothers to
>write, without the extended TeX ever knows anything about it. (If Omega
>uses C++ for IO, one can use something called a codecvt. Or use pipes,
>where available.)

Read Sections 8--12 (Section 12 in particular) of the Omega draft
documentation---that will answer you question more thoroughly that I bother
to do right now. Marcel's summary contains a reference to it. But in short
the equivalent functionality is already implemented (without resorting to
language or platform specific mechanisms such as those you mention).

Lars Hellström