From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:12:56 +1030
Hi Julien,

Many thanks for the feedback! It is great to hear of your experience
with the packages. And good, especially, to hear that other people
besides us are looking at it and using it :)

> I'm sure there is a way to define this in a beautiful expl3 manner,
> but I didn't find any satisfying definition. Of course I can
> basically use expl3 names and functions like \char_make_active:N,
> and using \cs_set_eq:NN to cheat and alias the functions I need to
> names without a colon, but that's hardly good looking.

In this case I think that Joseph's suggestion for search/replace is
best; you are right that it's slightly slower than using active chars
but the difference is quite small in practise.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind about a better interface for
rescan, but can't promise anything at this stage. It's perhaps
overkill to invent a new syntax to deal with : and _ for a possible
minority of situations (and in your case I suspect using \lowercase
and \lccode might also be able to solve your problem). But further
suggestions if you come up with anything are very welcome! (Example
code in particular is my favourite :))

-- Will