Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:05:04 -0400
From:
William Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Jul 25, 2006, at 1:42 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

> I'm new to LaTeX and it's a breeze to get it to work provided you
> stick
> with the defaults.  They are fine with me except that my printouts use
> a font that looks like I tore a page out of one of the O'Reilly books.
>
> Quite striking but I found such high-quality fonts inappropriate for
> correspondence.  Makes the end result look a little "arrogant", which
> is not what I want in this particular case.
>
> I tried specifying a different font family such as Garamond, Helvet
> and
> a couple of others but I didn't see any difference either when viewing
> the compiled document in xdvi or when printed - HP LJ2100M, native
> postscript. I'm obviously not doing it right.
>
> Could any one point me to the relevant manual - or provide a brief
> explanation?

What commands are you using to switch fonts?

I'd suggest trying the following (depending on your TeX distribution
setup):

\usepackage{mathpazo}
\usepackage{mathptmx}

and you'll find much useful information here:

http://www.tug.org/fonts/

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.