From:
Jonathan Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:35:51 +0100
Hi

Tomorrow's and last week's TeX hours are focused respectively on durable
and accessible rendering of LaTeX documents. Tomorrow's TeX Hour is A brief
introduction to Portable TeX Documents. It will be a preview and rehearsal
for my talk https://pretalx.com/packagingcon-2021/talk/XTAJ7Z/.

Thu 28 October: 6:30 to 7:30pm UK time (not GMT). UK time now:
https://time.is/UK.
Title:  A brief introduction to Portable TeX Documents
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09

To whet your appetite here's the anonymous reviewer feedback.

1. A focused solution that has the potential to work for many ecosystems.
2. I like the fact that this talk takes problems from a less widely known
ecosystem and tries to generalize it. I'd recommend the author to focus on
the packaging aspect, using TeX as a showcase, with its own specificity.
3. I like the combination of relevant technologies.
4. Very interesting work on Portable TeX Documents. Highly recommend that
this talk be a part of the conference.
5. This is relevant to me as someone who maintains multiple hundred-page
technical documents for multiple organizations. However, it may be too
specific to its target ecosystem to be adequately relevant for PackagingCon
this time around.

Here's the 26 August TeX Hour which first introduced the idea of Portable
TeX Documents
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw1FZfIX1w7gcm6b4MzRKDIlW7xV4yFnd

Last week's TeX Hour was Accessible TeX rendering and R-Markdown. It will
be available tomorrow morning UK time at
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw1FZfIX1w7jDYlhuKEv9jwghokCweLn_

Here's my version of the shared conclusions from last week's TeX Hour.
===
BACKGROUND
The key to accessibility is generating from one source document multiple
outputs, diverse enough to give all access to the information in the source
document.

DEFINITION
A TeX author is anyone whose output includes TeX generated PDF.

GOAL
All TeX authors generate accessible outputs.

PLAN
Use R Markdown as a model to follow, adapting as required.

PROBLEM
Markdown not adequate for majority of technical LaTeX documents.
===

Happy TeXing

Jonathan