Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 18:03:51 +0100
From: Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
On 17/10/2013 15:19, Alexander Grahn wrote:
> Consider the following example:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{xparse}
>
> \begin{document}
> \ifdefined\includegraphics
>   \typeout{Package `graphics' was loaded.}
> \fi
> \end{document}
>
> Why das xparse load graphics? What is it used for?
>
> Alexander

As Lars notes, it's expl3 rather than xparse that loads graphics.

At present, we don't use out 'native' graphics drivers by default for
scaling/rotation/... as part of l3box/l3coffins. As such, we rely on
graphics to do the back-end work. There is an open issue on this,
suggesting we switch to 'native' as standard with the LaTeX2e drivers as
an option. That might be a good idea as it means they get a proper
workout and also as clipping is only available with the native drivers.
The main downside is that we have fewer drivers than graphics does, so
would still need a fall-back for example for tex4ht.