From:
Ulrike Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2014 15:43:11 +0200
Am Fri, 23 May 2014 22:47:01 +0930 schrieb Will Robertson:

>>> Shouldn't we just allow spaces (and leading | or any other system
>>> dependent special
>>> syntax) just surrounding any user supplied name by " " to keep it together?

>> Space behaviour notwithstanding, I think the point here is that the pipe
>> input approach is sufficiently different from a 'real' file to deserve a
>> separate interface.

> One big difference being I think, which Iˇ¦m stealing from a tex.sx
> comment I read recently (sorry for the lack of attribution ˇX
> maybe Heiko?),

It was probably my comment to an answer of Heiko.

> being that MiKTeX explicitly requires a
> ˇ§-enable-pipesˇ¨ option passed to pdfTeX to function whereas TeX
> Live permits pipes with -shell-escape.

> I could be wrong but I think this is a bit of an issue because
> shell-escape-being-enabled can be queried within pdfTeX whereas
> MiKTeX support for pipes canˇ¦t be. This makes it
> difficult/impossible (?) to provide an equivalent expl3 interface
> on all platforms.

I could make a feature request for miktex if necessary. But someone
will have to explain first what (or for what) is exactly needed.

(I e.g. don't know exactly when texlive allows pipes)

(But I wouldn't like to bother Christian for something that it is
only needed to handle file names with spaces. Imho when you start to
quote file names there is soon either one quoting level too much or
too few when people start to pass the file names around. There are
better ways to spent ones time ;-)).

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/