David Kastrup <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:21:50 +0100
        Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> We are therefore encouraging all TeX distributions (as soon as
> possible and certainly by 2004):
>
> -- to include an executable that provides the e-TeX features;
>
> -- to use this executable when making and running the LaTeX format;
>    and/or to provide a configurable and straightforward way for a user
>    to make the change to using such an `e-TeX compliant' executable.

Another issue has come to my attention right now which I have not
mentioned before:

The elatex and latex executables may have different search paths.
While I have been able to let the

  latex

command revert to an eTeX format by default in a Web2C installation by
editing fmtutil.cnf and regenerating formats, the different search
path made

  \usepackage{etex}

fail when used inside of a file processed by the now modified "latex"
command rather than the "elatex" command.  This difference might be
worth mentioning to distribution vendors in some manner, too.