From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:48:05 +0100
At 17:16 -0500 2001/02/08, William F. Hammond wrote:
>Whether or not text is in math mode is an important authoring issue
>that requires explicit author indication.
>
>For example:
>
>\begin{quote}
>Everyone knows that the 2 most important numbers are $0$ and $1$\@.
>\end{quote}

Why not:
  There are odd and even numbers and the oddest of them all is $2$.

I tend to think that there in a text mode for natural language alone, there
should be no numbers allowed, only letters and punctuation marks. Thus your
AW quote should be
  Everyone knows that the $2$ most important numbers are $0$ and $1$.
or, as is recommended in language:
  Everyone knows that the two most important numbers are $0$ and $1$.

(By induction, the natural numbers are the most important numbers, as in
order to be able to express the sentence
  Everyone knows that the two most important numbers are $0$ and $1$.
everybody realizes that two is the most important number next to zero and
one. Whence:
  Everyone knows that the three most important numbers are $0$, $1$, and $2$.
Thus, via induction, this principle of importance generates the natural
numbers 0, 1, 2, ... *) )

Also, for the \gamma, one might even need language modes
  \begin{Greek}...\end{Greek}
  \begin{English}...\end{English}
-- The Greek environment would admit \gamma, or typeset "g" as \gamma, but
the English environment would not admit \gamma.

>...I assume that this discussion, which began with your questions
>about changing over to the T1 fontenc, is about LaTeX3 and not about
>the next 2E (unless the next 2E is to be 3).

I think so to: Isn't it time to forget about 2e, and starting with 3?
Changing 2e now will only annoy people that want a stable version.

*) So called "mathematical joke".

  Hans Aberg