Sender:
From:
Marcel Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:09:53 +0100
David Carlisle wrote:

> Marcel
>
> > The question is only:
> >
> > What packages are necessary for author-author and author-publisher
> > document exchange
>
> I think this is a very good point.
>
> > and UNLESS IT IS WELL DOCUMENTED, which, as
> > far as the practical problems go, is problem number one
>
> Documented, and agreed. If you (for example:-) were to volunteer to
> draw up a list of `must have' packages, and wrap them all in some
> consistent installation and documentation format, and document how this
> is the minimum required latex installation for document interchange.
>
> Then this will be a lot of work (thanks for volunteering!) but it will
> only help the user who is trying to submit his article if you also
> pursuade the publisher to accept such documents. For example last I
> heard <well known publisher who shall remain nameless> were still
> recommending their authors use latex 2.09, so getting (some) publishers
> to move may take as much effort as producing the list in the first place.
>
> Of course this is a chicken and egg situation. You can't really expect
> that publishers accept such a list until it exists. (Although as I just
> pointed out, essentially the tex live CDs provide such a list already).
>
> David

Marcel Oliver                        http://www.math.uci.edu/~moliver
Mathematisches Institut                    [log in to unmask]
Universitaet Tuebingen                          [log in to unmask]
Auf der Morgenstelle 10                          Fax: +49-7071-294322
72076 Tuebingen, Germany                      Phone: +49-7071-2972932