Sender:
From:
Bob Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:05:53 +0100
On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:21:39 +0200, Rainer Schoepf <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Please note that latex-l is not the correct list for problems.

Usually this is true for a mailing list.  However, LATEX-L is the only
list I have seen which has a web interface for joining the list and
gaining access to the archives that confirms that your registration
as successful, but then denies access to the archives and the posting
interface.  None of the automated messages sent by the interface
identify the address of the list administrator.  I even tried writing
to [log in to unmask], and while the message was
delivered successfully I never received a reply.  So after several
days I gave up and posted a message directly to the list.  It was only
after I got the rejection bounce of my posting that I finally had an
address for the list administrator.

I would strongly urge that

 1. the web interface for registration be fixed; and
 2. the headers for all automated messages include the administrator's
    email address.

I wonder how large the subscriber list for LATEX-L would be if the
interface for joining the list weren't broken.