Rune Kleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:18:23 +0100
        Achim Blumensath <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> o hyphenation template. This template should IMHO be dropped. The only
>   important parameters it sets are (ex)hyphenpenalty which can be moved
>   to the linebreak template.

Just a small comment from a non-expert.

There exist a quite simple change-file to TeX that allows different
penalties at different hyphen points, and also a change file to Patgen
to make hyphenation patterns that support this.

ftp://peano.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/pub/etex/hyphenation/

If this makes it into eTeX or pdfTeX, more parameters can be set, one
for each hyphen class.  There can be up to nine hyphen classes, the
actual number depends on the patterns used.  So as with
left/righthyphenmin, the settings are language dependent.

This change works for me, but the pattern files becomes huge.  For
Norwegian, a language with many compound words, I have 4 hyphen
classes, and 300K patterns does the right thing on about 97% of the
575000 words I have collected.

--
Regards, Rune Kleveland