From:
"J.Fine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:27:20 +0100
Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> (ah good, the reply-to doesn't cause it to go to jf)

Robin: You can send email directly to me, if you wish.

[snip: I've quoted only the passages I'm replying to]

> it would be nice to hear hans and taco responding to his claim that
> luatex is a _big mistake_...

Thank you, Robin, for reading these slides.

I believe the talks will be recorded and made available, so you will be able so hear their response.  You can also consult the archives of the luatex-dev mailing list, where I've raised before this very issue.

I don't expect Hans and Taco to agree with me, but I do hope we'll have a useful conversation.

> > In it I make some comments on LaTeX, which you might wish to respond
> > to, if you were there.
>
> unfortunately, much of what he says is reasonable.  of course, being jf
> he's carefully painted us in the worst possible light.

You have a point here.  I'll add something about the achievements of LaTeX.

How about:
===
* Achievements of LaTeX (the first fifteen years)

** Provides styles (aka classes) for standard documents
** Open: Allows programmers to add their own style files
** Provides reasonably uniform document syntax
** Lamport's LaTeX book provides gentle introduction
** Attracted energies of many talented developers
** Used and respected by many academics
** Adopted as submission format by many publishers
** LaTeX2e an important clean-up and revision of LaTeX209
===

Suggestions, as before, welcome.

> what i could do is prime kate jeary (u cam computing service) who i know
> well.

Yes, by all means ask Kate to ask a question on your behalf.

--
Jonathan