Sender:
From:
Michael John Downes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:18:32 -0400
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>  >   former address
>  >   current address
>  >   temporary address during 1997 while this author is on sabbatical
> oh well you have footnotes as welll _ad lib

I don't see how that can work for AMS journals: For most of them
"current address" prints together with main address at the end of an
article; but a few of them have main address at top of page one with the
author name and current address as a footnote on page one.

>  > And then you might want to change three or more author names A, B, C,
>  > ... to the form "A et al." in the running head, or for two authors use
>  > initials instead of first names in the running head, and so on. The only
> ah yes sounds familiar. we do that, indeed

How do you deal with name inversion (it doesn't appear that you require
name data to have the form "Last, First, Jr"?), or reducing first names
from full form to initials (the elsart examples suggest an expectation
that only the initials will ever be used, everywhere)?

>  > One of these days when I get a round tuit I'll probably end up writing a
>  > new frontmatter interface, but if someone else can manage to do it first
>  > and save me the work, so much the better.
>
> can i humbly suggest everyone adopts Elsevier's markup?

Yes, worth considering (I hadn't looked at it recently; did so just
now). A few questions:

---No \dedicatory element? (In some publications this might be printed
under the title, in others as a footnote.)

---No \email element? \translator?

---I don't care for having \thanksref embedded in the author name, I'd
rather see different syntax.

But the elsart markup for author names and addresses looks better than
current amsart.