From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:04:20 +0200
At 09:23 97/06/19, Marcel Oliver wrote:
>I believe that the question whether TeX or one of its derivatives will
>be used has not much to do with its capabilities or deficiencies.
>
>People will use e-TeX (or Omega, for that matter) once it propagates
>into the major TeX distributions (teTeX, emTeX, etc.).

  This is the reason I think some kind of consortium needs be formed, in
order put forward at least one "ANSI-ISO-Next-TeX", which most users would
switch to.

> I am pretty sure there are many people
> who would put icons "download TeX NOW!" on their web pages, if only
> there was a good page to refer to...

  This touches on another problem with TeX, namely that it does not
integrate well with electronic multimedia, which is what people quickly
switch to these days. The new DVI files would need to be at least more like
the Adobe PDF files, allowing some sort of interaction.

  Hans Aberg