Sender:
From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:36:54 +0000
In message  <[log in to unmask]>     Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project              <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> is that technically very different from providing, say, color support at dvi
> level? i mean if i say \textcolor{red}{this text is in red} and my text gets
> broken across the line by TeX all that TeX does is providing some \special at
> the begin and end of this text (ie they fall onto two different
> lines). Nevertheless dvips can color my text red.
>
> so why can't i let TeX split the link and nevertheless communicate via
> \specials to, say dvips what the unbroken link would be?

yes, you can, in theory. no problem. but over the last 4 or 5 years no-one has
actually come up with the code to do so. so either
 a) it *is* hard
or
 b) no-one cares enough

I suspect that most serious production users of hyperref uses pdftex anyway,
for other reasons. thats my personal experience, ie there is almost no
reason for sticking with dvi + dvips.[1] but I have no solid evidence that other
people feel the same

sebastian

[1] yes, please spare me a) pstricks, b) bitmap fonts, c) existing EPS files.
none of them convince me enough not to switch to pdftex.