Sender:
From:
Javier Bezos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 10:40:31 +0100
>>The same should apply to, say, Greek. If I write "barbaros" [well,
>>imagine it written in Greek] using the same beta, sometimes I would like to
>>see the first one using a differenf glyph from the second one (a medial
>>beta, not used currently).
>
> And then I suggest that you do this by selecting a (top level) font in
> which the beta has the medial form, not by using a special \medialbeta
> command or by requesting that the LICR should incorporate something
> equivalent to this.

Thus, we need 2 virtual font for every font encoding. Don't forget
that iota can be rendered below a letter or "in-line" (2),
iota and upsilon can be rendered inverted (2), and there is
the lunate sigma (2). Since these options are independent, are you
suggesting the creation of 16 (!) vf files and tfm files for every
font (and encoding)? (And regarding that, Greek is easy compared
with scripts like Devanagari or Arabic.)

> Provided that both glyphs have slots in the same font, yes, but I cannot
> see any reason why they should.

Because they both are necessary at the same time! Are you suggesting
that the font must be changed just to select a glyph?!?

Javier