Jonathan Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:12:53 +0000
Hi

Tonight's TeX Hour is based on the paper "Accessibility of Command Line
Interfaces" by Sampath, Merrick and Macvean (all at Google, Seattle). I'm
delighted that Alice Merrick will be joining us. You can read the paper and
watch a short presentation on it at:

HTML & PDF: https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3411764.3445544
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b_dlMBUAw8 # 5 minutes

The TeX hour is from 6:30 to 7:30pm UK time. The UK time now:
https://time.is/UK.
The zoom URL is
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09

If you've time to read only one thing, look at the paper's recommendations,
which are:

1. Ensure that a HTML version of all documentation is available.
2. Provide a way to translate long outputs into another accessible format.
3. Document the output structure for each command.
4. Provide a way to translate tables in CLI output into another
accessible format.
5. Ensure that all commands provide status and progress indication.
6. Ensure that all status and progress indicators used are screen
reader friendly.
7. Ensure that error messages are understandable when read aloud.

Next week I'll focus on Community and Communication. In particular, I'll
explain why I think our community would benefit from a monthly newsletter,
and what I'm doing in response to that need.

Once again, Accessibility of Command Line Interfaces tonight, 6:30 to
7:30pm.
UK time now: https://time.is/UK.
Zoom URL:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09