Sender:
From:
Martin Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:49:41 +0200
In <[log in to unmask]> Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>b) will be drastic: a current LaTeX format (without any packages
>loaded) uses about 51088 words of memory before begin document; if the
>average word length in commands is 10 (which is far too low with a
>consequent implemented module concept) then this gets basically blown
>to 500000 which is twice the amount of main mem that i have available
>on this machine for everything. i just looked: when we compiled the
>Companion the log file showed 208957 words of memory out of 262141
>try to imagine to what size this would grow.

I just looked: emTeX has an hTeX version where main memory can be configured
to be between 2097152 (2^21) and 4194304 (2^22). And I don't think there's a
limit in TeX to make it even bigger if needed. :-)

But I agree that this should be avoided -- but not a taboo.

Best regards
        Martin

--
               Martin Schr"oder, [log in to unmask]
It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the