From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 17:13:11 +0200
Maarten Gelderman <[log in to unmask]>:
>I immediately admit that the outline of my previous message was far from
>good. However, I dear question whether it is advisablwe to follow the
>`English' rules in this case. Imagine a book on French literature in which
>all authors whose names start with `de' or `de la' are underneath `de' in the
>index. I would not label that convenient. One encounters even more problems
>in situations where the word-in-between is not really a part of the name,
>like in von Beethoven, where the von is kind of equivalent to the English
>`lord' (it also means `of' but if I do not err, Beethoven was not a von
>Beethoven all of his life). I would prefer to find him underneath B.

  There appears to be a mixture of rules in use.

  Otherwise, I had in my mind the index cards of a libarary: A Swedish
amthematician named Hörmander might be sorted under Hoermander in some
English libraries, which is more difficult to find than Hormander (because
the translation ö -> oe is not common in Sweden). If you sort according to
the wishes of the author, some names "von Foo" will be sorted as "von Foo"
(resp. "de Bar"), others as "Foo, von" (resp. "Bar, de"), and so on. If the
index is large, this is not very convenient.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>