Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 14:06:13 -0400
From: Bruno Le Floch <[log in to unmask]>
The big difference is that l3keys first grabs an argument and then
sanitizes "=" and "," inside that argument.  Here at some point the
command you define must grab an argument delimited by ">".  Given how
TeX works, we need to know what category code this ">" will have.  In
principle it could be conceivable to do that depending on the category
code of the "<" that started the argument, or depending on the current
category code of ">", but that adds quite a lot of complexity to xparse,
so I'm not keen on it if there are other ways.

What happens if you do your definition \AtBeginDocument?  Does babel
turn on shorthands too late for that?

Bruno