Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: David Kastrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:23:10 +0100
        Ulrich Dirr <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> >> Yes, please. Something like xor with grid layout possibilities which
> >> will work before LaTeX3 would be great.
> >
> > Grin.  Names may be misleading.  IIRC, xor can already do
> > typesetting on a grid (with the appropriate number of bugs),
> > and ltxgrid has no provision for it.
>
> I know that in xor there's a possiblity for typesetting on a grid (and
> even make it visible). It's called xor-grid. I've looked at the packages
> in the experimental area but didn't succeed to get them working with
> other LaTeX packages (which are based on LaTeX2e). And this was my
> intention when I wrote 'before LaTeX3' ...

LaTeX3 will have quite a few existing packages break.  One major
cause of this is the inavailability of flexible interfaces to quite a
few internals of LaTeX2e: for that reason, mnay LaTeX2e packages rely
on redefining or using internals not intended as a proper interface.

As a result, there are even known incompatibilites between basic
required LaTeX packages (longtable and multicol, for example).

There might be some phase in the development for LaTeX3 where one is
concerned about some stuff for increasing compatibility to older
versions.  But now is not yet the time for thinking about that, in my
opinion.

If LaTeX3 is to become a reality, one should not spend too much
effort on thinking about LaTeX4 (postpone everything until a magic
executable appears that makes everything simpler) or LaTeX2e (bend
over backwards for backward compatibility with old engines and
implementations before even having started something new).

We need solid progress in areas where the ground is sufficiently
established.  From there it will be possible to look where to go next.