From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:12:58 +1030
On 11/11/2009, at 9:08 AM, David Carlisle wrote:

>> How do you access the unicode range of symbols in pmml2tex? I mean,
>> obviously they can be translated to TeX names via bb's STIX table,
>
> actually older data than the stix table
>
> http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007xml/unicode.xml
>
> which began life in Sebastian's jadetex distribution a lifetime ago.
> Although I sync up with barbara from time to time...

Aditya working with the ConTeXt guys is interested in putting together
a "master copy" for defining unicode math csnames in both ConTeXt &
LaTeX. But for now my canonical reference is bb.

Your unicode.xml file defines math alphabets with names \mathsfbfsl
and so on which is similar to what I have in unicode-math but not
identical. Do they come from anywhere or are they essentially arbitrary?

> But actually coverage in pmml2tex at the character level isn't that
> great
> I was sort of hoping "someone" would sort that out automatically if I
> dropped in (say) xetex and the stix fonts at the back end instead:-)

If you're happy to experiment, then my unicode-math package should
help you out there:
   <http://github.com/wspr/unicode-math>

It's not yet on CTAN because I keep adding things (and perhaps not
quite finishing others) but it's become a lot more stable/useful
recently. (It sort of works in LuaTeX at the moment as far as
accessing glyphs go, but I believe that OpenType math support is non-
existent. Gotta replicate what Hans et Taco have done for ConTeXt
MkIV, as far as I know.)

It's not exactly set up to use the STIX fonts out of the box because
it expects (by default) all math symbols/chars/glyphs to exist within
a single font. E.g., it works best with

     \usepackage{unicode-math}
     \setmathfont{Cambria Math}

Having said that, in theory this is supposed to work: (assuming there
are no bugs at the moment!)

     \setmathfont{STIXGeneral}
     \setmathfont[range={\mathit,\mathsfit,\mathscr}]{STIXGeneral-
Italic}
     \setmathfont[range={\mathbfup,\mathbffrak,\mathbfscr,\mathbfsfup}]
{STIXGeneral-Bold}
     \setmathfont[range={\mathbfit,\mathbfsfit}]{STIXGeneral-BoldItalic}

But I haven't actually tested this properly yet...oops. Let me know if
you're interested and I'll scurry away and do my groundwork properly.

-- Will