Sender:
From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:40:20 +0200
>> an \include-like system that allows you to
>> include stuff at arbitrary positions on the page, which is what
>> TUGboat actually needs.
>
>Why do you need an \include? or in particular why do you need an
>\includeonly ? Tugboat isn't so long is it?
>
>There seem to be two issues
>1) making a `master class' that can pull a series of separate articles
>   each from a separate file. Each of these `article files' should be a
>   self contained document that may be processed independantly
>   (although of necessity with a different class and perhaps a
>   slightly different look to the output when processed independantly).
>
>2) A generalised \include/\includeonly system that does not force the
>   \clearpage as in the current implementation.
>

>It seems you can have 1) without 2).

  I think the problem here is the way LaTeX produces aux-files: If the main
file foo.tex \include's subfile bar.tex, then there will be a file named
bar.aux with bar's references, which forces the \clearpage stuff, otherwise
the page references cannot be computed properly.

  I suggested this should be changed, so that all those references are put
in foo.aux. Then one can also have features such as using \bar.tex as a
main file for subfile compilation while writing on a manuscript. (The idea
was to have a LaTeX command \project{foo} to put in the file bar.tex.)

  So, unless this is changed, I think 1 and 2 above are somewhat intertwined.

  Hans Aberg
                  * AMS member: Listing <http://www.ams.org/cml/>
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>