Sender:
From:
"Philip Taylor (RHBNC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:20:25 +0100
>> Yes, that would be a good option. But I think that \uppercase and \lowercase
>> will not work correctly even with this option if the argument of \uppercase
>> (or \lowercase) is a multilingual text, and languages have different
>> (inconsistent) \uccode and \lccode values. To correct his, one needs to
>> redefine TeX's primitives as I wrote in my previous letter.

David Carlisle has raised an analogous point, which I have forwarded to
the other members of the e-TeX team for consideration/comment.

>> BTW, it is interesting to know, what is the current status of e-TeX?

V1.1 (the first public release) has been available since November last
year, and ports exist for all major platforms with the exception
of the Apple Macintosh.  V2 is scheduled for release in November this
year.  The documentation for e-TeX V1.1 can be found at

        http://www.rhbnc.ac.uk/e-TeX/

but the ideas for V2 have not yet been put up on the web, although
a TUGboat article and a GUTenberg article have both covered most of
the new ideas.

>> Is it widely used?

Pass!  There was an amazingly high hit rate on the web reference site
when V1.1 was first announced,  but as we have received no bug reports
since then we cannot be sure whether e-TeX is bug-free or unused!

>> Is there a support for new e-TeX's primitives available in LaTeX?

I think not, but the LaTeX team should answer this.

** Phil.