Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 16:27:02 +0100
At 15:05 +0000 1998/11/27, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>oh lord, who said anything about PDF as a format for re-use? its a
>display format. go back to the *ML source if you want to re-purpose. i
>dont see the issue. I *do* say that PDF has not a good enough linking
>model to support XLink, mind.

I think that one should be able to integrate a format PDF with the
authoring languages, so that the browser produces the output on the fly.

In terms of Java, an extended PDF format would serve as the byte code of a
corresponding JVM (Java Virtual Machine): It then gives the producer of the
document the opportunity to decide what to put out on the WWW and how much
security that is wanted.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>