"Y&Y, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 16:38:56 -0500
At 04:26 PM 98/11/27 , Timothy Murphy wrote:

>I find that a little hard to follow.
>The only PDF documents I've seen with useful hypertext
>are pdflatex ones presumably generated using hyperref.

Or, in material predating hyperref, by using \special{...}
directly, as in http://www.YandY.com/download/pdf_from.pdf
This is a situation where DVI viewer supported hyper-text links
were automatically translated to pdfmark for Distiller.

>Eg I was just looking at an enormous on-line Java manual by Eckel,
>which is said to be very good, and found the complete lack of links
>between table-of-contents (and index) and contents
>very frustrating.

How was it prepared?  Using TeX?  You can't really blame PDF
for the author's lack of sophistication in using the tool properly.