Sender:
From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 15:34:49 +0100
At 14:04 +0000 1998/11/27, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>i'm slightly bemused to hear that mathematicians now require special
>_hypertext_ as well as everything else. but I'd point out that a link
>embedded in a PDF document should be able to be expressed in XPointer
>syntax perfectly well, which helps a little. I'd agree that internally
>the PDF model is simplistic - but then who *has* implemented anything
>better in mainstream software?

It depends on what one wants to do -- if one merely wants to display a
document, then a format like PDF might be OK.

But as soon something becomes electronic, there are a lot of other things
one wants to do: Reuse the information in various way. Then in a PDF
format, that information is lost.

So all points to that formats like PDF are great as new DVI formats, but is
wholly unsuitable to lead the way into the future with respect to all the
other things one want to do with a computer.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>