Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:54:18 +0100
hans aberg writes:

> It appears to me that the "hyperref" package ought to appear in the
> "required" part of the LaTeX distribution:

we actually discussed this (and one or two other packages) early last
year; we generally felt it was a good idea ... but that at the time
such a change would be difficult.  now that heiko oberdiek is fully in
charge (sebastian rahtz was nominally still the maintainer back then),
it may be worth discussing it further, if heiko is interested.

> The development moves towards more and more wholly electronic documents,
> and hyperlinks aid a great deal in reading such documents, especially when
> douments are large, or technical in nature. (For example, the LaTeX
> distribution documents would benefit a great deal by this. :-) )

your reasoning is entirely valid, but you should understand that
pragmatic considerations also contrive to bite into what might be
optimal.  we couldn't simply, as a project, take over maintenance of a
package of such a magnitude as hyperref; so we need to find a
maintainer before bringing it into the ambit the project.  heiko is an
active and industrious maintainer, but i haven't asked him whether he
would welcome joining a formal structure such as that of latex
maintenance.

Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge