From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:34:48 +0200
At 04:37 +0100 98/06/18, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Does this really mean I'll have to say "\math/phi"
>every time I want a \phi ?

  There are two questions: What names to use on a development level, and
how to implement features that are easy to the user.

  On the development level, long names are mainly (I think) the question of
the speed of TeX, but I think TeX is not slowed much down by that. It is
good if names alway expand to \math/phi or \phys/phi because it makes those
names separate and they cannot clash.

  But on the user level, there must be shortcuts: The user should avoid
using those '/' as much as possible. One suggestion would be that the user
is allowed to make local definitions:

  When typing say (inventing a syntax on the fly) <foo> it expands to
\document/name/my_doc/foo -- the point is that when several documents are
blended together, these local definitions can be made globally available if
needed.

  I just jot down some ideas on how the matter could be developed. -- Doing
this correctly would need (in the example) a careful study on how to
actually blend together several documents, just as the discussions carried
out earlier here in this group.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>