Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:30:37 -0600
From: Morten Høgholm <[log in to unmask]>
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:46:11 -0600, David Kastrup <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It is my opinion that all of Knuth's attempt to hide the result of
> real arithmetic in TeX are just a source of pain, trouble and
> quirkiness, and should stop being a design criterion.  It also affects
> the output of the trip test, making it system-dependent.

One of the files in our test suite failed because of this: I had prepared
the original test file using MiKTeX and when run on my Mac I got a lot of
diffs because of errors on the fifth decimal in glue settings. Most
annoying.

> There are two approaches to get there: either just ignore the system
> dependencies (PostScript more or less does that, I think, and has not
> terribly suffered from it), or replace all occurences of real
> arithmetic by fixed-point arithmetic, and be done.  There are change
> files for that purpose already, if I remember correctly: it was shown
> that this was feasible.

Yes, Matthias Clasen did that. It is available at ctan in
/systems/tex-extensions/clasen/.
--
Morten