From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 23:24:40 +0100

At 20:18 +0100 2001/02/06, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
>this is weird :-) and i thought my learning days on TeX the programs have been
>over.
>
>even
>
>  \expandafter\show \csname ab{cd\endcsname
>
>does work.

TeX uses the character catcodes to tokenize the input, but if the lexer
finds a macro name, it must do an additional table lookup in order to stamp
an additional, internal token number (not described in the TeX book) for
the parser, evidently, as different macros can obey a different syntax.

But my guess is that both the lexer regular words syntax and the parser
LALR(!) (?) syntax are fixed, only the character catcodes and the macro
internal codes can change. (So why is TeX's syntax then commonly called
"extensible" if both grammars are fixed?)

Has this TeX parser grammar been published somewhere?

  Hans Aberg