From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:05:28 +0100
At 12:41 +0000 2001/02/15, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>> No, you got it wrong: One can open a file as a text file or as binary file:
>
>in fact, rainer (as one would expect, given his background) has got it
>right.
>
>you (as always) are dragging irrelevancies into the discussion, and
>adding nothing whatever to the discussion of the development of latex.

Who has said it would bring anything to LaTeX? :-) -- I am interested in
the question for Hugs and similar programs, and for writing my own parsers
(I write on a macro based formatting program right now): If there only are
the UNIX, MSOS & MacOS conventions available, one can open files as binary
and parse it as such, but otherwise you cannot. Are you claiming that if
the files are input as binary, one does not have to worry about newlines
one has in the internal representation?

As for LaTeX, I recall that I can write a file that uses MacOS character
encoding but which uses (say) UNIX newlines. Then Textures would not be
able to read it (even if the file is only ASCII), whereas OzTeX can.

-- My guess is that LaTeX is written to assume the one that ports TeX to
the local OS does a local translation of line separators to whatever TeX is
used to have in its internals, and therefore you do not consider the
newline input encoding issue a part of LaTeX.

  Hans Aberg