Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 14:19:59 +0100
From: Robert Alessi <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 09:07:13AM +0100, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Fri, 14 Jan 2022 08:44:06 +0100 schrieb Robert Alessi:
[...]
> > Any of the -dev engines fail to compile the attached .dtx file if the
> > “dox” package is loaded, but I am not sure the failure is caused by
> > this package.
>
> the new doc version used in latex-dev incorporates a few ideas of
> dox, see the documentation. Beside others it now also defines the
> command \SpecialMacroIndex, and defines it defined
> \SpecialUsageIndex with it:
>
> \def\SpecialUsageIndex{\SpecialMacroIndex}.
>
> As dox then does \let\SpecialMacroIndex\SpecialUsageIndex
> this loops.
>
> Probably dox would need a fix here, it should check if
> \SpecialMacroIndex is already defined. If I change dox to use
>
> \@ifundefined{SpecialMacroIndex}{\let\SpecialMacroIndex\SpecialUsageIndex}{}
>
> your skeleton compiles.

Thank you!  I should have examined this more thoroughly.  I used dox
because I needed a macro to describe options.  But now I see that I
can say \NewDocElement{Option}{option}, which is fine.

Something similar affects the colordoc package because it redefines
doc's \macro@finish, which has been changed.

What should we do?  Will the LaTeX3 team contact the authors of these
packages or should rather I do it myself?

> Thanks for trying latex-dev. It helps to identify such problems :-)

You are very welcome :)

Robert