From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:52:28 +0100
At 00:43 +0300 2001/02/16, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
>> If a sentence cannot be parsed by a human, it is of little use in the
>> human world I gather.
>
>Such a sentence _without markup_ cannot be parsed by a human, so it's
>useless when it doesn't have markup; I agree. But the author adds markup to
>the sentence, so it becomes useful. I'ld like to emphasize that the author
>doesn't parse anything (except his thoughts; and his thoughts are already
>markuped:-)) when he adds markup to his sentence.

But what do you mean with the word "markup"; is that the same thing as any
contextual information, or does it mean certain marks on some words or
groups? -- You can easily make a sentence like
  The gap in the last formula should be
  made like in the first one and the gap should be made like in the
  second one.
(humanly) parsable by adding a sentence
  Note that the second "gap" is a mathematical object, or putting it
somewhere else, like a different file, which is a way to represent fonts
and styles in some text editors. -- So the information must be provided
somehow, by syntax context, experience, etc, but not necessarily by what is
called "markup" in the sense of todays markup languages.

-- The only thing that matters is how useful it is to the authors in
forwarding their intent, and a more advanced grammar can help there.

  Hans Aberg