Reinhard Kotucha <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 Sep 2015 03:51:44 +0200
Hi,
I suppose that the graphics package will be written from scratch for
LaTeX~3 in order to make use of the new syntax.  This might be a good
opportunity to add a new feature.

Admittedly, I never used the viewport option of includegraphics in the
past because I only included vector graphics, where it doesn't make
much sense.  However, when I prepared the TUG-2015 photos for the next
TUGboat release I encountered an inconvenience.

The viewport is specified in terms of pixels.  After downsampling the
photos I had to change the viewport arguments (divide them by the
downsampling factor).  This had to be done manually and thus was quite
inconvenient.

It would be quite handy to have an option which behaves similar to
viewport but accepts arguments relative to the size of the original
graphic, for instance [0.15 0.2 0.87 0.98].

Maybe it's also possible to add another option which displays a grid.
Such a grid can be very helpful in order to determine the desired
values.

I'm convinced that relative coordinates are even more comprehensible
to users because it's not necessary to know the actual size of an
included graphic.  Since we have pdftex now, which supports PDF, PNG,
and JPEG, it's more difficult to determine the size of a graphic.  And
the log file isn't helpful because values are in pt while the viewport
option expects them in bp.

 |  <foto/ltx/dpc.jpg, id=44, 1027.84pt x 832.10875pt>
 | File: foto/ltx/dpc.jpg Graphic file (type jpg)
 |
 | <use foto/ltx/dpc.jpg>
 | Package pdftex.def Info: foto/ltx/dpc.jpg used on input line 118.
 | (pdftex.def)             Requested size: 178.5416pt x 144.54pt.

The actual size is 1024x829, BTW.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:[log in to unmask]