Sender:
From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:02:54 +0000
Roozbeh Pournader writes:
 > > the mass users use Microsoft software. Internet Explorer 5 renders XML
 > > natively
 >
 > I can't understand, XML is good or bad? If it is good, why does Microsoft
 > support it?! ;)
so that they can suck people into using it, then change it in ways
incompatible with the standard, and hope you stay locked in. cf the
Halloween documents

 > LaTeX input syntax to become SGML-compatible (or XML-compatible), and write
 > SGML directly in it, or you are speaking of a complete
 > (i.e., fully complete) support for equivalents of SGML things in LaTeX
 > and a convertor from SGML to LaTeX?
the latter

 > But what about a math interface, which a big part of TeX community
 > are users of? Please don't speak of MathML, ok? ;)
hard not to

 > I don't like neither those <mrow> things which look unnecessary,
 > these, also make my files very large.
who cares about file size?

anyway, we have to assume that we'll use structured math editors. i
know most people on this list will scream, but interfaces like
MathType (which exports MathML) are not at all bad

 > What I currently do, is typing Persian using local keyboard
 > in an editor my colleagues in the FarsiTeX project have written,
contradicing the above, where you say you rely on plain ASCII editors!

 > user doesn't like loading a big editor for simple tasks such as
 > typing a memo, which previously could be done using old dear `vi'.
 > Got it?
no. you use  a special editor for special input, why not do the same
with math?

 > Also, someone who has grown up with TeX input language,
 > loves the input syntax. :)
i reserve my love for humans and plants :-}

 > Specially, U.S. government and Iranian government can't bear
 > each other
but you won the footbal match. well done, i enjoyed watching it

sebastian