Sender:
From:
"Wilson, Peter R" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:20:32 -0800
    Thanks to Achim and Javier for their comments.

Achim:
    This was my first attempt at doing anything with templates and I was just happy to get something that seemed to work. If I can't get the notion of instances into my head I'll ask about them later.

Javier:
    In the standard classes, and the memoir class, the marks do not naturally include any formatting information --- all that the \chapter, etc., commands do is make the title available to a \chaptermark, etc., macro. The pagestyle code defines the \chaptermark and that is where the formating is specified.

    There is no reason why the pagestyle mechanism cannot use its definition of \...mark to store the the number and title as \chapternumber and \chaptertitle macros. I guess, though, that you are suggesting that \chapter define these macros instead of letting the page style code define them if it needs them.

    If LaTeX3 can support arbitrary areas on the page then your suggestion of any number/location of head/foot areas is interesting. On the other hand, the zero-sized picture method seems to provide an adequate means of putting things at specified positions on the page.

    Come to think about that, how about only one head area and do everything else (e.g., n-number of head sub-areas, foot areas, side areas) via zero-sized pictures?

Peter W.