From:
Ken Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:58:31 +1000
Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:14:37 +0000

> Boris Veytsman wrote --
>

> > Yes. I remember an old book of log tables, that used exclusively old
> > style digits. It was difficult to use, at least for me.
>
> Oh yes I recall them fondly: they were so much easier to read than
> modern tables with uniform rows of lining digits.
>
> But heh!  Who on this list is wrinkly enough to even know what a log
> table is:-)?

Well, I'm not very wrinkly, but I still have easily accessible on my
bookshelves a set of seven figure log tables.

And I have packed away somewhere two volumes of fifteen (or should
that be 15?) figure log tables.

Speaking of log tables, some years ago a book was published which
contained natural logs of prime numbers to (if my memory is correct)
over a hundred decimal places.
At the time I saw a review of this which consisted of just one word:
"Why?"
Does anyone remember where this review appeared?

> chris

Ken Smith