From:
Achim Blumensath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:31:29 +0100
Hello,

Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> Tackling the first question first, here are a bunch of specs that I can think
> of (without judging for the moment how well they would represent anything real
> life and how well they might work out in practice).
>
>     * The ratio of t1 to t2 is fixed by the design and a float AAA can be
>       placed into the middle position if neither t1 nor t2 become too
>       small. (Downside of this kind of layout might be that the positioning of
>       the floats drastically varies from page to page.)
>
>     * The end position of t1 is fixed (vertically) so that a middle float
>       always starts on the same point on a page. Further restriction then that
>       t2 is not getting smaller as a certain value.
>
>     * The starting starting position of t2 is fixed so that the bottom of the
>       middle floats always appear on the same vertical position on the page,
>       again with some further restrictions to the size of t1 this time.
>
>     * An obvious extension to the above could be that there are a list of
>       vertical starting points to choose from and some mechanism/logic to
>       select one of them
>
>     * ...other ideas...

Personally, I would find it awkward if the position of floats would not
be consistent between pages. This would rule out options (1) and,
possibly (4).

What I implemented in ant is a combination of (2) and (3): The user can
define a fixed area on the page where floats can be placed. In addition
he specifies whether this float area should be filled up from top to
bottom or from bottom to top.

Achim
   Achim Blumensath                                          \O/ \___/\ |
   TU Darmstadt                                              =o=  \ /\ \|
   www.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/~blumensath                /"\   o----|