From:
Jonathan Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2021 19:28:12 +0000
Hi

This is the last TeX Hour announcement for this year.

Each new year is an opportunity for review, change and renewal. And next
month the TeX Hour starts its second year. This month there'll be 4
meetings where we'll look both backwards and forwards. In January I'll be
making some wishes and suggestions for 2022.

All meetings are Thursday 6:30 to 7:30pm UK(=GMT) time. UK time now:
https://time.is/UK.
The URL is:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09

The calendar for this month is:

Thu 2 Dec: Beginners
Thu 9 Dec: Accessibility
Thu 16 Dec: Conversions (and Community)
Thu 23 Dec: \relax  and Happy Holidays (no meeting)
Thu 30 Dec: Open House - all topics welcome

Each week I'd like to take a long view, going back to 1980 and forward to
2040. Well, that's quite something, and my crystal ball is more like a snow
globe. By the way, the snow globe dates back to about 1900, see: The family
company that invented the snow globe:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25298507

Here's something to think about. TeX has excellence in typography. But it
has a rival. Searching for typography (on google) gives
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typography as the first result. That's fair.
But who comes second?

It's the typography page for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_Design,
which is "a design language developed by Google in 2014" whose focus is
best practices in user interface design and user experience (UX). Dave
Crossland is known to many in our community as an open source fonts
expert, with graphic design skills. For the last 5 years he's worked for
Google, lately with a focus on UX Programs and Operations lead.

By the way, tomorrow the backlog will be cleared, and past videos can be
seen at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCKEgzdM6fTYtfivRdzajw/playlists

If I don't see you before, Happy Holidays and best wishes for the New Year.

Happy TeXing for 2022

Jonathan