From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:34:12 +0100
 >   I think Springer Verlag uses TeX in part because it produces the right

a curious company to cite; their TeXery is often appalling,
and their use of latex209 + nfss1 frankly immoral

 > thing. So I think simply using rescaled fonts would produce inferior
 > technical typesetting.
welcome to the real world....

 > "typesetting" language. PS admits correct fonts typesetting, but the
 > programs used to produce PS output defaults to the simplification of using
 > merely font rescaling.
if thats what the user asked for, yes.

 >   So I do not think this is a minor issue, when it comes down to TeX; this
 > is in fact something that really makes TeX typesetting.

its nothing to do with TeX. any application could use fonts at their
design size, and never scale, if they had the fonts. equally, TeX has
no special feelings either way about scaling fonts

if you say that some commercial typefaces are not very good, or that
there are few math typefaces, fine. nothing to do with TeX, tho

Sebastian