Manuel Blanco <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:56:10 +0100
I'm not sure I follow. What I was proposing is a very localized thing.
May be it's similar to proposing that in the optional argument of
figures spaces could be allowed `\begin{figure}[h t b p]` (I think
that might be the current behaviour), does that “add to the mess”?

This is again, very localized, keys in key=value pars to ignore
whitespace, I don't think that could be a problem, really. There could
be counterarguments that I can't think of, and that's why I posted
here. But I think that “adds to the mess” is not really a problem
here.

For instance, this is an usual way of inputting configuration to
{listings} package.

  \lstset{
    numbers=left,
    numberstyle=\scriptsize,
    tabsize=4,
    rulecolor=,
    language=java,
    basicstyle=\scriptsize,
    upquote=true,
    aboveskip={1.5\baselineskip},
    columns=fixed,
    showstringspaces=false
  }

what would be the risk of enabling this to also work (and all the
other whitespace combinations)

  \lstset{
    numbers=left,
    number style=\scriptsize,
    tab size=4,
    rule color=,
    language=java,
    basic style=\scriptsize,
    upquote=true,
    above skip={1.5\baselineskip},
    columns=fixed,
    show string spaces=false
  }

Personally, I think the risk (and mess) of doing this is practically
zero. It only adds flexibility.