Simon Spiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 6 May 2018 18:25:38 +0200
> On 6 May 2018, at 17:37, Jonathan Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:12 PM, David Kastrup <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Frankly, given the breathtaking pace of bibliography generators in the
> TeX world, the main surprise is that the BibTeX database format is
> supported as well as it is by a whole lot of software able to export
> records.
>
> David makes a good point here. I'd reformulate it as this - sites such as http://www.bibtexsearch.com/ (new to me) make bibtex records available. Beware of anything that requires changes to the generation or use of such records. I'd say the bibtex data is in practice something close to a fixed point.

I share Martin’s scepticism regarding Oren’s announcement (or rather Karl’s announcement of Oren’s desire).

But I think the pragmatic side is actually much more important. To be honest, I highly doubt that such additions to BibTeX would really change anything. People who need fields like URL or DOI in their work, have long ago either chosen .bst styles which support them or changed to BibTeX replacements like biber/biblatex. As for the BibTeX data which is available from various different sources and databases – I highly doubt that an update to BibTeX would have any influence on them. Many of them already support URL et al. and if they don’t, I doubt that they would alter their behaviour because of changes to BibTeX.

Simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Maneggplatz 18

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039

http://www.simifilm.ch
http://www.utopia2016.ch

„Gute Typographie kann nie witzig sein.“ Jan Tschichold